Saturday, July 29, 2017

Veritas Press Self-Paced Courses Review

     This summer is not a typical summer for our family. As you all know, we are in the middle of moving overseas, and I had to figure out how we would still do some, not much, school work done in the midst of this huge transition. I decided to focus on two subjects during this summer: math and history/bible.
     For math, we are going to continue working on Saxon Math 2. We plan to finish it by the end of August. For history/bible, we are using a Veritas Press (VP) Self-Paced Course: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt this summer. We started the course early May and we are aiming to finish it by the end of August as well.
     History is one of the many subjects that I am not confident. Throughout my school years, my study in history was very shallow and I never got to retain much of what I had learned. For this VP course, I am taking the class with Elisha, which means I sit down with Elisha for every lesson and we learn together.
     We love this course and here are the reasons:

1. Very engaging - The narrators are very articulate, funny and often hilarious.
2. Adds details to pegs - This course helps Elisha to add a lot of details to the memory pegs she has nailed down past two years at Classical Conversations.
3. Plenty of reviews help retention - there are a lot of quizzes and games to help us retain what we have learned
4. Aha! Moments - Elisha has been putting together all the pieces from The Story of The World audio books, CC timeline, CC history sentences, hundred of library books she has been reading past 2 years and bible studies.
5. Cross Referencing - I am enjoying how the course makes references to the new testament and classic literature such as Shakespeare. It once quoted a line from Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew and I saw Elisha's eyes sparkle with excitement. (She read and listened to Shakespeare's plays last year)
6. How timely! - This is a personal reason. As we are moving to Egypt this summer, this course seems to be so timely for us. I am learning so much about Egypt's history and culture through this course.

     By now, some of you must be wondering how much the course costs. We purchased this course late spring when all their Self-Paced Courses were on sale. Instead of paying the full price of $199, we paid $99. There are 160 lessons in this course. Each lesson takes anywhere between 15 minutes to 30 minutes and, most likely, it will take us 4 months to finish it. All in all, I am happy with this course and hope to continue with their next 3 other courses.