Sunday, August 9, 2009

Give One When You Get One

I met Pastor Dale while I was working toward my first master's degree at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Pastor Dale does not get paid salary from his church, but he and his family depend on God's provision. I, personally, witnessed many times how God met their needs in divine ways.

I repect Pastor Dale for many reasons but one of the most respectable things about him is that he strives not to become materialistic in this materialistic world. I remember Pastor Dale and Jen sharing their concern about their daughter getting too much toy gifts.

One day, Pastor Dale and Jen realized that their only daughter, Michelle was being spoiled with so many toys. Her room and their basement were being filled gifts and toys from grandparents, uncles, aunts, family friends, and many others. So, they came up with a brilliant idea: when Michelle receives a new toy gift, she should give one of her toys away to another child. One Christmas, Michelle received a new toy from her aunt and she gave away one of her old dolls to a missionary family and thier child.

It's so easy to accumulate things without realizing how they end up owning us. Whenever I let go of the attachment and hold for the old clothes or things that I can live without , there is such a sense of freedom.

So, I just gave away a bag of my old, yet rarely worn clothes to a friend's daughter who's going to college this year.