Thursday, May 23, 2019

Taking a Break From Classical Conversation

Before we moved to Egypt, Elisha had completed Classical Conversations' Foundations Cycle 1 and 2, and last year, she completed Cycle 3 with me here in Egypt. We enjoyed Foundations program very much, and, especially, with Elisha having a knack for memorizing, it was a right fit to meet our needs.

As we are returning back to U.S., I, without much debating, thought we are going to to join CC for Essentials. However, while exchanging emails with the director of this specific site we were going to sign up for, I felt something amiss. I was in the middle of finishing up my doctoral program for Audiology, and at the same time, we were busy packing up for intercontinental move, and I just wanted to sign up and pay for the Essentials and get over with it. However, right before I was going to send the payment, God stirred me to open the Essentials of the English Language (EEL) which is the book used for Essentials program. I purchased it over a year ago, but never opened it until then!

Skimming through the pages, I had to laugh at God's sense of humor: the material is something very familiar to me. Before I became an audiologist, I earned a master's degree in linguistics and having someone else to teach the contents of EEL to my child will be nonsense.

So, we are not going to join CC for a while, and instead of doing EEL, we will work on IEW's Teaching Writing: Structure and Style. Elisha and I just finished the first book of Fix It Grammar
series, and I believe TWSS is much more thorough than EEL.

Meanwhile, I have to come up with a plan to keep Elisha working on Foundations memory work. I might have to outsource that part by hiring a teenage mother's helper to come once a week and drill Elisha with the memory work.